Re: [css3-writing-modes] Applies to line for text-combine-horizontal

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 05:28:41PM -0800, fantasai wrote:
> On 02/20/2013 05:13 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> > This currently[1] says non-replaced inline elements but of course we may also
> > apply text-combine-horizontal:digits to block elements such as:

> > Is the intent to have the property inherit to the anonymous inline box(es) inside
> > the paragraph and apply there?
> >
> > [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#text-combine-horizontal
>
> That's an interesting question.  I don't think we've set a convention on how
> we handles such things.
>
> Anyone have an opinion on this? (Anton? Peter Moulder?)

(No doubt it's desirable for it to apply here, of course.)

As for the current situation, that's one of the bits that's unclear in CSS 2.1,
which says that this text must be "treated as" an anonymous inline element, but
stops short of saying that it actually is an inline element; some mentions of
"element" in CSS include these, and some don't, so it's not clear whether this
property would apply here or not.

A related issue is that a number of Applies-to lines say "elements" when they
actually mean "boxes", e.g. including anonymous boxes (especially anonymous
table boxes), and different properties applying to inside list markers compared
to the principle box of a list item.  If one were to read "Applies to:
non-replaced inline elements" as meaning "... boxes", then it would be clearer
that the property does apply.

I'll leave to Anton to say how css3-box will handle these.

In the meantime, the spec could be explicit and say something like "(including
... as mentioned in [CSS21] section 9.2.2.1)" (or whatever the correct way to
reference other CSS specs) if there's concern that it's not clear enough.

pjrm.