Re: [css4-images] Add format() hints to image()

On Tue, 2013-02-19 at 09:50 +1300, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > mpo (3d format support by DS browser)
> >
> bmp
> >
> tiff
> > eps
> >

> Is there any significant use of these formats on the Web, or any reason to
> start using them?

Maybe someone at Google or Microsoft would have an answer to that.

I'm not aware of any Web browser that handles Tiff natively today, but
the format is used in the print world, and likely to grow in the future
(unfortunately, since TIFF is a mess). It's the most widely interchanged
lossless multi-layer format other than (proprietary) psd -- something
needed for printing in colour (typically CMYK layers).  I'd be happy to
encourage use of something else (MNG?) but there isn't really a
substitute right now.

BMP is default for Microsoft Paint, or used to be, and one still
encounters them sometimes.

Liam