Re: [CSSWG] Minutes Tucson F2F 2013-02-05 Tue PM I: Fonts

On 15/2/13 22:07, fantasai wrote:
> CSS3 Fonts

>    jdaggett: First topic is case-sensitivity of font family names
>    jdaggett: Talked about this yesterday
>    jdaggett: I put last night wording into spec to define the exact
> algorithm
>              to be used
>    <jdaggett> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/#font-family-casing
>    jdaggett: Would like to take a second to resolve on this
>    jdaggett: Points at default caseless matching algorithm in Unicode spec
>    jdaggett: You case-fold each string
>    jdaggett: Use case mappings defined by C/F statuses in CaseFolding.txt

Given that the Unicode-caseless-matching issue here is being addressed
for such a narrow problem space, I'm a bit surprised at the choice of
"full" (C+F) Unicode case folding, rather than the equally well-defined
but significantly simpler (and cheaper to implement) "simple" (C+S) folding.

As neither version can be completely "correct" in the sense of matching
a native-speaker understanding of equivalence in all situations
(impossible to achieve without addressing the issues of normalization
and of locale-dependent mappings, at least), I would have thought that
the marginal benefits of the "full" folding would be insufficient to
justify the added complexity. (Do we really expect to see fully-accented
Greek used in font-family names?)

JK