Re: AnimationEvents for pseudo-elements

On 2/1/13 2:04 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> On 2/1/13 11:31 AM, Alexis Menard wrote:
>>> Is the pseudoElement attribute what you are looking for?
>>
>> Is that actually compatible with existing content?  In particular, this will
>> trigger existing event listeners that didn't use to be triggered before...
>
> In WebKit it definitely won't, because transitions and animations only
> very recently started working on pseudos anyway.  ^_^

I don't follow this line of reasoning.

What you seem to be saying is:

   Since we didn't support this property on pseudo-elements before,
   pages aren't going to have any stylesheets applying the property to
   pseudo-elements.

On the face of it, this implication is not true.  Especially given that
other UAs _do_ in fact support the property there

> I'd prefer avoiding a rename just for this if we can.

In case it wasn't clear, my proposal is that we have transitionend for
normal transitions and something like beforetransitionend for
transitions on ::before, say.

-Boris