Re: [css-counter-styles][css-fonts] Editorial: syntax of declarations

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> We all know what that means, but the specs should still have a normative
> definition of the syntax that encodes all the corner cases. The trends seems
> to be a formal grammar that extends CSS 2.1 ยง4.1, but "like declarations in
> style rules" with a normative reference to CSS 2.1 would work for me too.
>
> Alternatively, refer to "parse a list of declarations" in Syntax 3, but see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Apr/0506.html
>
> (Based on http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/cssom-constants , this should be
> everything that uses the declaration syntax. Not counting @page which allows
> mixed declarations and at-rules. Did I miss anything?)

We shouldn't be writing explicit grammars for simple cases like this.
It's long been my intention to write up several helper constructions
in Syntax, to make grammars more like what Fonts and Counter Styles do
both easy and precise.

I haven't been working on Syntax lately, but I'll pick it up again soonish.

> Bonus question: where is !important allowed?

In most properties, in no descriptors.  ^_^

~TJ