Re: [selectors4] Open issues

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> I think what would make me personally happy, here, is: CSS relaxes #xxx
> in a selector to accept any HASH token.  HTML adds a non-normative note
> for authors discouraging use of id values containing ASCII characters
> other than A-Za-z0-9_- .

On the HTML side, what people do is really up to authors. If the ID is to
be used for JS, say, the problematic characters depend on how the string
is quoted. If it's used in another attribute, then what matters is more
what characters HTML allows convenient use of. If it's used in CSS, then
it's up to CSS what is convenient.

Because there's all these different contexts, the spec just stays silent
on the matter of what is best practice or not.