Re: [css3-text] Feature request: "white-space: ignore"

Yes, you're right about flexbox. Although flexbox is far less pragmatic.
Let me elaborate.
## Inline-block
Pro: Is already in use for layouts and is popularized by entities like
Mozilla[1]<https://blog.mozilla.org/webdev/2009/02/20/cross-browser-inline-block/>,
and by a plethora of
bloggers[2]<http://robertnyman.com/2010/02/24/css-display-inline-block-why-it-rocks-and-why-it-sucks/>
[3] <http://www.ternstyle.us/blog/float-vs-inline-block>[4]<http://designshack.net/articles/css/whats-the-deal-with-display-inline-block/>and
is currently the only alternative to floats, which is neither designed
for layouts but for positioning images. If a "discard" value where agreed
upon for "white-space", it should be trivial to design a javascript shim,
that would implement this feature until browser vendors "catch-up" with the
spec. I would be keen to implement such a shim. Inline-block is
currently supported
by almost a 100% of browsers in the wild[5]<http://caniuse.com/inline-block>
.

Con: White space in the HTML is
significant[6]<https://github.com/csswizardry/csswizardry-grids#classes-in-markup>
.

## Flexbox
Pro: Does indeed address this design issue and is getting steadily
increasing support.

Con: Is not general supported and is supported differently across browsers
[7] <http://caniuse.com/flexbox>. No reliable shim is
available[8<http://html5please.com/#flexbox>
][9 <https://github.com/doctyper/flexie#readme>] to "up" browser support.

   7. http://caniuse.com/flexbox
   8. http://html5please.com/#flexbox
   9. https://github.com/doctyper/flexie#readme

It's my hope that we can reach consensus on that the ability to "discard"
white space is a win for everyone and for all web authors, currently and in
the future, regardless that a new and shiny proposal levitate us from the
design issue at hand. I personally, dislike non pragmatic solutions when a
pragmatic ready-to-use now solution exists.

Cheers, Jon