Re: Applying gradients to text

On Apr 13, 2013, at 11:33 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> background-clip:text is a non-standard WebKit feature that will never
>>> be part of the real standard, because it's a terrible way to handle
>>> the idea of "fill text with an image".
>>
>> I wouldn't necessarily call it terrible. As a matter of fact, that is what most graphics libraries do to fill text. Maybe we should not expose it to the web in wider form but push 'fill' and 'stroke' properties on text more. A first step would be to bring this up for discussion on the CSS WG and ask to proceed with using these properties on text.
>
> fantasai and I did this at the last f2f.  Reaction was mixed, but not
> hostile. We have to put together a more complete proposal.

I created a Wiki page on the FX TF Wiki[1]. I added an image with different examples, where authors might have different wishes then SVG tries to address. If the CSS WG decides to investigate in fill and stroke, I am sure we can find a desirable solution for most use cases.

I hope that we can extend the Wiki over time to cover all questions.

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/fx/wiki/Fill_and_stroke_on_paragraphs