Re: www-style Etiquette: reply to all vs. reply to list

Le 10/04/2013 13:04, James Holderness a écrit :
>> Something that could go into that wiki page: is it useful to hit "Reply to
>> all" rather than just reply to the list? Both in general and in the
>> particular case where the recipients are known to be subscribed. I get a
>> lot of www-style email in double for seemingly no reason.
>
> 1. The list server doesn't seem to include a Reply-To header in messages, so
> using "Reply" rather than "Reply to all" will just send the reply to the
> original author rather than the mailing list.

I meant send an email with only www-style@w3.org in a To header, without
a Cc header. My client (Thunderbird) also has a "Reply to list" button
doing that, based on some headers that this list server sets. (I’m not
sure which one.)

> 2. On a high traffic mailing list like this, I suspect some people might
> find it useful to filter mail based on whether their address appears in the
> To line or not.

Sounds fair enough. That kind of usage is why I’m asking.

> 3. It could be argued that it's a fault of your email client that you're
> seeing duplicates, given that both copies of the message have the same
> Message-ID. To be fair, though, the list server appears to be adding an
> additional blank line at the end of every message, which might trip up a
> more strict form of duplicate detection.

In case this is useful to someone else: I’m now trying out the
mail.server.default.dup_action configuration switch.

http://www.ghacks.net/2007/05/18/automatically-remove-duplicate-mails-in-thunderbird/

--
Simon Sapin