Re: [css3-selectors] Selectors level 3 - Lexical scanner error

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:30 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> * Jean-Jacques Solari wrote:
>>The most likely place where you would be finding "\377" is in:
>>
>>…
>>nonascii[^\Ø-\177]
>>…
>>
>>But one reads "\177", not "\377", and it is even less to be read twice
>>in the tokenization as advertised in the paragraph.
>
> That paragraph is obviously mistaken considering `377` does not appear
> in the document anywhere else, but the `177` is not meant as `377`. I am
> not sure where the `Ø` is from, in the Recommendation it is
>
>   nonascii  [^\0-\177]
>
> which is anything but 0x00 .. 0x7F, in other words, 0x80 .. 0xFF if the
> maximum value is 0xFF (0o377 in octal). It can't be 0o377 because then
> the set would be empty (anything but <minimum> ... <maximum>).

I was *wondering* about that some time ago.  I think you're right that
it's just a persistent typo/misunderstanding for \177, unless someone
can come up with a convincing argument for why "ASCII" is considered
to extend all the way to U+00ff, when it's normally considered a 7-bit
encoding, and thus goes only to U+007f.