Re: [css3-lists] ::marker should inherit from the element

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:05:07 +0100, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
wrote:

> Le 26/03/2013 18:31, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Section 12.1 of CSS 2.1 has the following text:

>>> ::marker should do the same, but I can’t find it specified in
>>> css3-lists. I
>>> suggest adding a sentence similar to the one quoted above to section 6.
>>
>> I'm happy to add this, but we need to add a more generic statement to
>> the Pseudo-Elements spec (when we write it) that pseudo-elements
>> inherit from their superior parent.
>

> Yes, a more general rule would be better of course.

This isn't necessarily going to be a problem, but I'll note that we saw
some deviations from this rule in implementations when the list-item
implementation was reworked in Presto some time ago.

For instance, given a list-item with text-transform:uppercase and
list-style-type:lower-alpha, only IE (at least version 8, which was the
one tested at the time) propagates text-transform to the marker.

Similarly, neither Gecko nor Presto have the marker inherit
font-variant:small-caps. These are probably the two main properties for
which inheritance might be a little surprising, since the list styles
already specify casing.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Opera Software ASA