Re: [css4-background] use cases for 'border-corner-shape'?

Here are a few more use cases, provided by the community:

http://battle.net/
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1077344/Screenshots/katushkin.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1077344/Screenshots/yandexcom.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1077344/Screenshots/auto.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1077344/Screenshots/apple-store.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1077344/Screenshots/branded2.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1077344/Screenshots/branded-3.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1077344/Screenshots/mono.png
http://joepaulsonmusic.com/
https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/463/3685/original.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21513714/border.png *
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/72jn0mif59hbmlh/XVp6-p5IJ1 *
http://html5please.com/ for https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/466/1735/original.jpg
https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/464/6513/original.jpg
https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/463/3692/original.jpg
http://www.fuenfbisneun.de/
http://css-tricks.com/triangle-breadcrumbs/
http://sidepodcast.com/post/australia-2013-predict-qualifying
https://github-notifications.herokuapp.com/

* Not all of those would be solved, but many would be solved or simplified

Also, here are a few comments from authors:

Tim Hettler: seems like a chicken-egg problem. New CSS features create design opportunities.

Gareth Allison: Wow Lea, really excited about what border-corner-shape could do. Awesome!

Roman Komarov: Actually, if you'd go by any large portfolio of almost any design studio, you could find something a lot of examples where the border-corner-shape could be used (or, at least, make thing so much easier)

The most often example is arrows of any kind. Right now there are a lot of hacks and tricks to make them work, but if you'd need one with gradient, border and box-shadows — it would become really cumbersome to emulate. [...] Another thing are negative border-radiuses near tabs. Yes, with the current spec they couldn't be done with border-corner-shape alone, but — come on! — it would make things a lot easier, so you could use pseudo-elements with clear code for them instead of ugly hacks with box-shadows, clip etc. Actually, with corner-shape you could use gradients and images there, that is not possible right now without proper masking. [...] A lot of web-designers today design with CSS actually. And as they don't have those tools of border-corner-shape, they need to limit themselves when they need to do something unusual — they often want to use only things that could be made by CSS, and not by hacks. So, it's a bit of a chicken-egg problem — until there won't be a plain way to use this stuff, people wouldn't be use it often.

Nikos Zinas: On another note, I really like the whole point behind David Baron's post. Before agreeing on a feature, make sure that it solves a real world problem and not just adding it because it is cool. But yes, I agree that in this specific case, it's a feature that we need.

Jordan Pittman: I don't think I can give any websites for this type of thing but it could even be extremely useful in online magazine print-style design. We already have regions and exclusions in the works, this would be just another excellent addition that could make CSS much more powerful and give designers more variety in their designs.

Max West: The only way to do this, without adding extra images (and their http requests) is to have the border-corner-shape method available in CSS. [...] Why do so many web sites use simple rectangular and round-cornered backgrounds for logos now? Simple, because we don't have CSS border-corner-shape as a standardized alternative. It's kind of like asking "why invent the ball-point-pen, quill pens already let us write"?

Joao Beno: [...] this the right step in the direction of allowing designers to focus more on designing and less on learning how to hack css to do what they have in mind. How many times i saw designers sad over some of their ideas being "too hard to implement", or designing some diselegant css to do the trick, or even doing the project in Adobe Flash just because it was easier. [...] Designers want to spend time drawing, not typing... Choose between this and other options is like choose between draw an wikipedia svg map in Illustrator/inkscape or in notepad. Go to wikipedia and see what people choose...

Lea Verou
W3C developer relations
http://w3.org/people/all#leahttp://lea.verou.me ✿ @leaverou