Re: [css-masking] Module interactions

On Apr 1, 2013, at 2:24 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>   # these effects are applied after elements have been sized and positioned
>   # according to the Visual formatting model from [CSS21].
>
> Might want to mention the interaction with transforms and filters: are
> things masked before or after those operations?

I moved the following definition from section 5 to the module interaction section:

""
The compositing model follows the SVG compositing model [SVG11]: first any filter effect [FILTER-EFFECTS] is applied, then any clipping, masking and opacity [CSS3COLOR]. These effects all apply after any other CSS effects such as ‘border’ [CSS3BG].
""

Note that this is the definition that we use in other specification as well. Transforms should not affect any of the graphical effects. Transforms transform the CTM of the element. These effects operate in the CTM of the object.

>   # Some values of these properties result in the creation of a containing
>   # block, and/or the creation of a stacking context.
>
> When do any of these properties cause the creation of a containing block?

Since masking and clipping do not affect layout in any way, these properties should not be responsible for creating a containing block. Please correct me if I misunderstand it, but containing block is used for sizing and positing other rectangles. This seems not to be the case here.

Greetings,
Dirk