Re: [css3-grid-layout] Syntax of track lists wrt named grid lines

On Apr 2, 2013, at 4:55 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
>> I'm confused, why do we allow multiple names for a single line? I agree that
>> the parentheses syntax is better if we want to allow that, but the confusion
>> of what this does outweighs the benefits of being able to have multiple
>> names for a line.
>
> Because a single line can mean multiple things in different contexts.
> For example, the leftmost line could be the "start" line, but also the
> "main-left" line, used to position the main content element.  If you
> moved the main content around, you'd move its line, but not anything
> positioned relative to the "start" line.

It's also an important feature that lets you change the grid (say based on a media query) without changing the definition of where everything falls within/on it. What may be two (or more) different lines in one grid may be the same line in another layout.

Peter