RE: [css3-writing-modes] text-orientation:upright

> First, I was surprised at this. Brackets and dashes with “forced upright” will be useless.

I understand a feature cut doesn't make everyone happy, but we need to go forward with limited resources. I hope your understanding.

> Second, I have a question. Is it true “forced upright; it always means upright”?

It means UA renders upright. It doesn't necessarily mean it looks visually upright for, for instance, Mongolian or glyphs with rotated vertical alternate glyphs as you pointed out.

> Should we recommend to use the ‘text-combine-horizontal’ property instead of ‘text-orientation’?

If that works better for your needs, I think it's a good way to go.

> In my opinion, the best solution is to use the SVO data for
> ‘text-orientation: upright’ and to disable rotated vertical glyphs
> for SVO=U characters.

We could add such an advanced feature in future levels.

I think it's best to stabilize the first version, then add more features in future.

Regards,
Koji