Re: [css-regions] Handling content overflow out of its region range

On 9/7/12 8:49 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Andrei Bucur <abucur@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> The spec is not very clear about what happens when content overflows
>> outside the region chain of the containing block. There are some things
>> that need to be better specified such as:
>> - the overflow should be rendered inside the previous/next region in the
>> chain or outside the region that's being overflown? I'm in favour of the
>> first option.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean.  The last element in the region chain just
>gets the rest of the content, and acts like a normal element would in
>an overflow situation.

I think the situation Andrei is bringing up is where content in the
fragment contained by the region overflows the region boundaries. For
instance, if you had two regions in the chain, an element at the end of
the first region's fragment could be relatively positioned lower than the
bottom boundary of the region. Or an element at the top of the second
element's fragment could be relatively positioned above the top boundary
of the region.

In multicol, if something in the first column is relatively positioned
below the bottom of the column, we have non-interoperable behavior. WebKit
and Opera displays the relatively positioned content below the multicolumn
element. Gecko displays the content in one of the subsequent columns.

I'd like to spec Regions as following the WebKit and Opera behavior for
multicol. If content in the region's fragment is positioned outside of
region's boundaries, that's where it gets drawn. There should be no
interaction with other regions in the region chain.

Thanks,

Alan