Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> Not to prove that everyone's preference is someone else's ugly but I
> can't stand the x-convention. If we're going to have a prefix why
> not make it something readable. For instance:
>
>         :root { define-link-color: blue }
>         a { color: $link-color }
>
> ...is imo a reasonable balance: terse at the point of use and very
> explicit at the point of declaration since there should be many of
> the former for each of the latter.

This seems like a reasonable compromise.  Maybe shorten the 'define'
prefix?

  :root { def-link-color: blue }
  a { color: $link-color; }

I'm not a huge fan of the prefix-foo syntax either but I think it's
better than mucking with the core syntax simply to jam in the parsing
of $foo for variable definitions. On the use side, having to wrap
prefix() around everything hurts the readability, especially in
expressions.

Regards,

John Daggett