RE: [css3-writing-modes] before/after terminology alternative?

[L. David Baron:]

> On Monday 2012-05-28 08:42 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> > On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Christoph Päper
> > <christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:
> > > fantasai (2012-05-01):
> alternative.
> > >
> > >  – ‘initial’ / ‘final’
> > >  – ‘begin’ / ‘stop’
> > >  – ‘head’ / ‘foot’
> > >  – ‘ceil’ / ‘floor’
> >
> > 'head' / 'foot' actually makes some sense to me, as it corresponds to
> > the directions of the header/footer in a document.  That's
> > writing-mode dependent, and easy to explain.  (Plus, it always makes
> > me strangely happy when keyword pairs are the same length.)
>
> Are we sure 'head' / 'foot' are actually writing-mode-independent terms,
> as opposed to effectively being terms for 'top' / 'bottom'?

Right; I think the assumption here is that web authors will see head/foot and
think header/footer. Fwiw I think that is a reasonable assumption and I find
the improvement over before/after to be more than significant enough to risk
a level of confusion that I think will be very minor and very temporary if/when
it happens.