Re: [css3-transitions] Why isn't the display property animatable?

On 28/5/12 11:50, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> I agree.
> We've had multiple cases where we wanted to have the display property
> to be animatable.
>
> This has been brought up multiple times and was always mentioned as
> something that we would get in the near future (even by Tab)...
This will be solved easily once every value becomes animatable (through
a discrete step, if nothing more elaborate is possible). Tab said this
has been discussed in the WG and it will eventually be done, probably
through the addition of a new timing function, to avoid breaking
existing websites (which is unfortunate as it lacks consistency and
elegance, but understandable). Then you could use `display` in keyframes
to control when the change happens and simultaneously animate opacity,
width, height or anything else. For example, a fade out:

@keyframes fade {
     from { display: block; opacity: 1; }
     99% { display: block; opacity: 0; }
     to { display: none }