[css-variables] allowed syntax of variable values (was Re: status ?)

On Friday 2012-05-25 10:18 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 2012-05-25 09:31 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> >> 4. Tighten the syntax of variables.  This should be pretty
> >> non-controversial, as the current definition is way to underdefined.
> >> This is easy to do - basically it'll just be a space, comma, or
> >> <function> ... ]".  Very permissive, but still disallows weird things
> >> like unbalanced parens and such.  The WebKit impl already uses this
> >> slightly restricted grammar (we basically parse it as a "term+", from
> >> the Appendix G grammar).
> >
> > I'm concerned about this change (and, in particular, I'm concerned
> > about it leading to something that's engine-specific rather than
> > implementable across engines), but I'd like to see details of what
> > you're proposing before commenting further.
>
> My proposal is in the draft now:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-variables/#variable-property

The current text is:
  # The valid possible values of a variable property are almost
  # completely unrestricted. A variable property can contain
  # anything that is valid according to the value production in the
  # CSS Core Grammar. The values do not have to correspond to any
  # existing CSS values, as they are not evaluated except to replace
  # variables occurring within them until they are actually
  # referenced in a normal property with a variable.
which I'm fine with, though it doesn't sound like the change you
described.

-David