Re: [css3-flexbox] Changing abspos placeholders to atomic inlines

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 2:36 AM, Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net> wrote:
> On 18/05/2012 02:44, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> Issue link: http://wiki.csswg.org/topics/css3-flexbox-abspos-flex-items
>>
>> Previously, the "placeholder" left behind by abspos items was defined
>> to be a "0x0 anonymous inline".  Anton raised the issue that setting
>> an inline to 0 height doesn't really do anything, and we may instead
>> want to set its line-height to 0.  Instead, fantasai and I decided to
>> just change them to atomic inlines.  This makes the 0 height actually
>> matter.
>>
>> This has additional implications, though.  As an atomic inline, the
>> placeholder now becomes a flex item, rather than being wrapped in a
>> flex item.  This actually seems like slightly better behavior, as it
>> means that it responds directly to flex-align.
>
> I think that works, but I'm not seeing the connection to 'flex-align'; would
> you mind elaborating?

The effect actually isn't as large as I previously thought.  The
effects of 'flex-align' on an anonymous block around the placeholder
end up being about the same as applying them the placeholder itself.
Possibly identical, but I'm not certain off the top of my head.  It
may be simply that the only observable effect is to make two abspos
elements next to each other still take up two "spots" for the purpose
of flex-pack:justify and such.