Re: [css3-flexbox][css3-align] start/end vs. before/after

On 05/19/2012 01:44 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
> I think this is where the root of the issue lies - from my perspective, it doesn't make sense to say that the Grid has a main or secondary axis. AFAIK, there's nothing in the spec that specifies one or the other as being primary vs. secondary, and there's nothing in the functionality of the grid that suggests one is any different than the other.
>
> If someone can point to something that illustrates how Grid column alignment is functionally different from row alignment, that might be the basis for an argument that they should have different terminology. Absent that, however, I think François' argument about minimizing the syntax a developer or author has to remember is what we should follow.

While the Grid spec might treat alignment in both dimensions
equally, there is still an "inline" dimension and a "block"
dimension that both Grid and Block layout pay attention to.
It's imho a Very Bad Idea for Grid to use different terminology
than block layout for its alignment values.

You can argue that "because Grid's layout is dimension-agnostic,
its alignment keywords should be equivalent in both dimensions"
but then you'd either have to diverge from the alignment properties
in block layout, or insist that alignment keywords in block layout
should be inconsistent with 'float', 'caption-side', etc.

~fantasai