Re: [css3-flexbox] Is painting order affected by 'flex-order'?

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org> wrote:
> It shouldn't be too hard to change the implementation, but it seems like
> painting in flex-order would be less confusing.  That is, if I change order,
> I would still expect the first flex item (visually) to be painted first.

The argument to the contrary is that other layout modes that kinda
induce reordering, like Grid, don't change the painting order based on
where a box is placed.

I don't think this is a strong argument, personally.  I think that
flex-order should be thought of as (and eventually defined in terms
of) box-tree reordering, and it makes the most sense to have that
directly affect painting order.  If we change the name to
'display-order' and have it also apply to Grid auto-positioning,
that's the same deal.  On the other hand, normal Grid positioning is
more like abspos, which is clearly a layout tool, not a box-tree
manipulator.

~TJ