RE: [css3-fonts] truetype collection

On Friday, May 11, 2012 7:37 PM John Hudson wrote:

> On 11/05/12 3:30 PM, MURATA Makoto wrote:
>
> > Without some mechanism for identifying one of the fonts in a given
> > TTC, how can we use TTC from CSS fonts?  I am just saying that the
> > lack of such a mechanism should be clearly described in the
> > CSS3 Font specification.  If somebody creates a media type for OT and
> > establishes fragment identifiers for TTC OT, I am happy to change my
> > mind.
> The typical way that software identifies one of the fonts in a given
> TTC is by font name table entries, i.e. the same way software
> identifies individual TTF or OTF fonts. So, for example, an installed
> TTC such as that which ships as part of the Microsoft Cambria family
> displays in font menus as two distinct fonts based on the distinct name
> tables for Cambria Regular and Cambria Math.
>
> I can see how this will require appropriate media type for CSS, but
> once that is in place does one need a 'fragment identifier' beyond the
> name table entries?

There may be a potential problem with this approach using CSS with embedded fonts as, in this case, the font name is 'declared' by an author (it may not even match a real font name) and associated with the font file identified as a source. If the source is a TTC file, there got to be something (as part of the source declaration) that identifies a particular font in TTC.

Thank you,
Vlad