Re: [css-wywiwyg] browser interpretation of css

> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Rik Schaaf
> <coolcat_the_best@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I understand that old browsers don't support new css properties, but
> even the big five shows their CSS2.1 based content slightly different. If you
> make a screenshot, the content should be 100% the same, not 99%. I can
> say without hesitation that those browsers won't reach that 100%.
>
> There are some areas, even of 2.1, that are undefined.  Hopefully
> they're *explicitly* undefined, so we know they need to be filled in
> later, but I know that not everything is.
>
> For all specs, we allow some types of variance as a "quality of
> implementation" issue.  In other words, browsers are allowed to do
> *better* in some circumstances without violating the spec.
>
> Finally, there are still bugs.  CSS2.1 is a Recommendation, but that
> just means that every test we have is passed by two browsers.  It
> doesn't mean that every test is passed by *all* browsers.

I think we all already dreamt of a perfect web development world, in which all browsers are behaving the same.
Of course it would be a lot easier if web developers didn't have to take care of different display at all.
In the real world you can be very happy about that 99% of same content and that the big five (finally) keep to them as far as possible.

> > Ok that's clear now, but is there anything W3C will do if one of the
> big five does not implement their properties right?
>
> No, the W3C has no power.  Standards are purely voluntary.  Browsers
> obey standards because (1) a well-written standard makes their job
> easier, by defining all the difficult cases and doing all the
> difficult design work for them, and (2) if everyone else does
> something one way, your customers will want you to match them rather
> than doing it a different way.  That's it - there's no forcing
> involved.

If the W3C had the power to enforce their standards, IE6 would never have existed and web developers wouldn't have to fiddle with hacks and workarounds for single browsers. But of course it's always up to a company to comply with standards as long as there are no laws regulating them.

But people may still have dreams...

Sebastian