Re: Mandate longhand naming conventions and [css3-text] text-emphasis-position

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 10:28:09 +0200, Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Up until recently, a defacto naming convention was followed for
> longhands: Every longhand property name had to start with the shorthand
> property name plus a hyphen. For example, all the properties the
> background shorthand consists of, start with "background-" and every
> property that starts with "background-" belongs to the "background"
> shorthand.
>
> [...]
>
> I understand that it's too late to change most of these. What I'm
> suggesting is to:
> 1. Make the convention mandatory from now on, so that the number of
> violations does not increase. It's easier to deal with a rule that has
> few exceptions than to not have a rule at all.
> 2. Document the exceptions in an official list that script authors and
> trainers can use.

We haven't resolved on that so far, but I've found one more property that
doesn't follow the convention that all foo-* properties should be
longhands of foo:

text-emphasis-position is not a longhand of text-emphasis. The specs says
so
explicitly, and gives a good rationale for it.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-emphasis-position

If we end up adopting the convention as an official rule, we need to either
agree to make an exception here, or to rename the property.

  - Florian