Re: [css3-text] feedback on 'word-break: keep-all;'

2012/5/4 fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
> On 05/03/2012 08:08 AM, Ambrose LI wrote:
>>

>> But then what is the purpose of keep-all then? If I just read that
>> description quoted above I’d assume it *is* the “explicit action” that
>> I needed.
>

> The purpose of keep-all is to keep consecutive CJK characters together,
> whereas normally they are allowed to break anywhere.
>
> This is common in Korean, which, like English, uses spaces to separate
> words.
>
> It is also sometimes useful for mixed-script text, where zh/ja snippets
> are mixed into another language that uses spaces for separation.

Hmm, I guess I remember asking this exact same question before. I
didn’t understand back then, and I’m afraid I still don’t understand.

The need to have keep-all functionality in Latin text is as real as
that in CJK text. Why are the two kinds of scripts treated so
differently? I mean, this is an override; why can’t we have a
consistent way to override? This makes no sense to me.

--
cheers,
-ambrose <http://gniw.ca>