Re: [css3-values][selectors4] identifier matching and normalization

On 05/01/2012 07:03 PM, John Daggett wrote:
> fantasai wrote:
>
>> We need to define whether/how the user-defined<identifier>  is
>> Unicode-normalized, and whether an NFC counter-name is the same as
>> an NFD counter-name.
>
> I think this has the potential to be a big rathole.  Wasn't there a
> large discussion of this related to the Selectors spec?  Wasn't the
> conclusion there to not make normalization a requirement?
>
> Since that conclusion is a subset of the issue here, I think you need
> to state why you think that conclusion needs to be revisited.  And
> also whether this decision has bearing on HTML5 or not.

The difference here is that we're defining matching purely within
CSS. Selectors has to interact with everything else, and we couldn't
figure out anything that made sense for the platform as a whole, so
we sidestepped the issue. Within CSS, we don't have that problem.

(Thinking about it now, I think for Selectors normalization should be
handled the same as case-sensitivity: CSS stores the name in its
original language, and the markup language defines which forms are
considered the "same" or "different". So if <nfc></nfd> is considered
well-formed in that language, then both nfc and nfd would match that
element; otherwise not.)

~fantasai