Re: [css3-images] interpolation of color stop positions (was Re: Change to currentColor means it's no longer animatable?)

D'oh, didn't see the thread had forked.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Shane Stephens <shans@google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 2012-05-01 10:25 +1000, Shane Stephens wrote:
>> > When we discussed this issue last August (
>> > http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/OOYmTrbeuqHBxqIvwMab) the
>> > consensus
>> > seemed to be that  both bumping of overlapping stops and placement of
>> > auto-positioned stops occurs before interpolation. You can't bump
>> > overlapping stops until layout time.
>>
>> Why?  I really don't think interpolation should depend on layout,
>> and I don't see what the use case for breaking that principle here
>> is.
>

> I argued much the same position in the linked thread, Brian Manthos strongly
> disagreed. There was no consensus so we ended with the status quo, which it
> seems is to perform stop resolution before interpolation.
>
> I'm very happy for us to revisit this though.

Yup, I'd be fine with swapping the second and third fixup steps in
Images 4.  That would allow us to do gradient interpolation purely at
computed-time.

~TJ