Re: [css3-values] Required minimum precision

On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 12:21 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> During the last telcon, we claimed that we hadn't posted our proposal
> for required minimum precision.  We're dumb - it was already in the
> draft: <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-values/#limits>.
>
> So, we need to either approve this, edit it, or defer it to level 4.

Not an implementer, but...

0.1px isn't very small if it's a CSS 96th of an inch and you're working
with a 4800dpi printer.

Similarly 0.1 degree is larger than it might sound - the human eye can
easily see if a rectangle is rotated by 0.1 pixel, it's got built-in
hardware for it :)

Of course, an implementation could support higher resolution. The groff
text formatter used (may still use) millipoints internally. So the 0.1px
is probably OK, since implementors will likely realise they need more if
they do :-), but 0.1 degrees still seems too coarse a granularity to me.

Liam