Re: [css3-text] Why is the definition of word in text-transform non normative

On 5/3/2012 6:32 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:

> I know there is another issue open to discuss whether the behavior
> described by UAX29 is really the one we want, but what I am asking here is
> orthogonal to that. Whatever we decide is the desired behavior, why not
> mandate it?

Note that the word boundaries defined by UAX#29 are locale-independent.
It is expected that tailorings would be used to accommodate the locales
(and there are discussion of various situations in UAX#29). However, it
is not expected that UAX#29 will ever include such tailorings, CLDR is
probably a better place (and indeed, CLDR Includes a tailoring of word
boundaries for Japanese).

The bottom line is that the rules of UAX#29 are not currently nor are
intended in the future to be a complete answer.

Eric.