Re: [css3-exclusions] ordering exclusions by z-order

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Rossen Atanassov
> <Rossen.Atanassov@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Rob, the proposed text sounds good and I’ll try to push it into the
>> ED. Still, I am still puzzled by the insistence on this spec to be different
>> and specify everything in terms of fragmentation.
>

> Existing specs often fail to take account of the one-to-many relationship of
> elements and boxes, and have had lots of ambiguities as a result, so
> existing spec text is often not a good model to follow :-(. Some specs do
> take account of multiple boxes where the problems became glaringly obvious
> and editors were responsive, e.g. CSSOM View discusses multiple boxes in a
> few places.
>
> I don't think we should try to have the Fragmentation spec define how every
> other spec should be modified to handle elements with multiple boxes. There
> isn't a uniform way to do those modifications, so it would violate spec
> modularity and make things very hard to understand since you'd constantly be
> referring to CSS Fragmentation to understand how each spec actually needs to
> work. E.g., I think Flexbox spec, not the Fragmentation spec, should define
> any differences between pagination of flexboxes and other kinds of boxes,
> and it should define how flexbox features should work in the presence of
> pagination.

Which it does (though informatively for now, until we get feedback),
and I agree that it's definitely a custom job every time.  Every
layout spec has its own special foibles and invariants it would like
to maintain in the face of fragmentation.

~TJ