Re: [css3-flexbox] Fixing the "replaced elements may or may not be inline" issue

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:21:26 +0200, Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com>
wrote:

> I don't see how we could reasonably do B now, at least not with the
> 'display-inside' thing, since that property (AFAIK) is not part of any
> spec yet.

That's just a shortcut in this non normative text, meaning all the display
types
that have would have block as their display inside if we introduced that
property,
(block and inside-block. Anything else?)

> So, in my opinion, B causes more mess than it solves.
> Proposal A would be nice,

My general feeling is that A is a better default behavior than C.

My issue with proposal A is that there is no opt out. For the things that
are display block by default, an author can set display to inline if
that's better for him. But for these intended-to-be-replaced elements,
there is no opt out. B's default behavior is the same as A, but with an
opt out, and that's why I like it.

I am not that strongly attached to the way an opt out is offered, but I'd
prefer having one, and basing it on display makes sense to me. Otherwise
the situation we get into is that both <div> and <button> are flexbox
items by default, but if you don't want that, for div you do
div{display:inline} and for button you do button{automagic-flex:no}.
That's quite inconsistent.

If we went with D, I'd be more comfortable with an opt out based on
something else than display, since it would work consistently. But since
it seems we can make the opt out be the display property, I am not sure we
should introduce another property just for this.

  - Florian