Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

On 6/14/12 1:04 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>However, your wish is already granted - "variable" is dfn'd in the
>spec.  So is "variable property".

Oops. Thanks. This point is highly moot then. I am very sorry for making
much ado about nothing.

>> 2. Easy to understand/use syntax for defining a variable (including a
>> default value) and clear articulate functions to either get or set them
>> (var-get(), var-set(), <I-am-not-a-language-designer-disclaimer>).
>
>I assume this means that you dislike the current syntax.  Could you
>give me an example of what you're thinking of for var-set()?  I don't
>understand how a function would actually be used.

Oh, I do like the $<variable name> for simple uses of variables! I was
just making suggestions for the complicated use-cases that were outlined
of adding default values that were solvable with a generic var(); But
please don't think too much, this is completely off-topic and I shouldn't
have mentioned it.

>> 3. CSSOM representation that defines how variables can be accessed via
>> JavaScript.
>
>Yes, I need to work on this.  There's a chapter in the draft about it,
>but it's mostly just a big issue right now.  I just need to sit down
>and work out what the WebIDL for it would be.

That would be great. I think it would be awesome if implementations of
specs have this aspect sorted out in the beginning too as it is pretty
essential for almost any of the new applications that would be using these
features (especially something as application-friendly as CSS variable).