Re: [css3-flexbox] min-width & min-height "auto" value -- applies to both axes, or just main axis?

On 06/11/2012 06:07 PM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> ± So right now, the spec is calling for all flexbox items to have *both* their min-
> ± width *and* their min-height default to "min-content".
> ±
> ± I'd thought we only wanted this magic for the main axis's min-size property, not
> ± for both min-size properties. Maybe I misunderstood though?
>
> We want the magic in both direction

To be clearer / more specific: do we want "min-height:auto" to ever
compute to something nonzero on a flex item in a horizontal flexbox?

I don't think we do.  Now -- in the *main* axis, there's a good reason
for the magic, because without it, common values of the "flex" shorthand
could easily end up shrinking an item below its min-content width.  But
in the cross axis, there aren't any flexbox-specific sizing surprises
like that, IIUC.  So I don't see a good reason for the cross-axis
min-size property to have a magical default there when it computes to 0
everywhere else.

> The actual magic that we want is "minimum size of content when laid out within constraints of cross size of flexbox".

This makes sense to me (for the main-axis min-size property), though
what you're describing is much more nuanced & complex than what the WD
currently says...

~Daniel