Re: [css3-*] Review of functional syntax in CSS

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Christoph Päper
<christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. (2012-01-27 17:22):
>>
>> Now justify all of these with use-cases.
>
> I think if there’s a reason to include one kind of rounding there’s enough reason to include the rest, too.

Not really.  Rounding up, down, or toward the nearest all have decent
justification, and they're present in every language.

On the other hand, a function that only rounds to the nearest integer
multiple of the modulus is rather new, even/odd rounding isn't usually
present by default (and, I believe, exists mainly to reduce rounding
bias when rounding lots of numbers that will be combined together,
such as for finance), and the distinction between toward/away from
zero and toward positive/negative infinity isn't usually made.

>>> Spelling arguments come up on a regular basis and, not being a native speaker, always puzzle me.
>>
>> What's puzzling?
>
> English spelling really isn’t that hard and with syntax highlighting, code completion or point and click interfaces the ease of spelling a certain word seems not that important.

Shrug, experience varies.  I'm an extremely good speller, but the
ie/ei distinction often still gets me.  And I use a plain text editor
without any of what you mention.