Re: [CSS21] min-height: 100% in html, body

"Lea Verou" <leaverou@gmail.com>
 Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>

Le Jeu 26 janvier 2012 22:23, Philippe Wittenbergh a écrit :

> On Jan 27, 2012, at 3:25 AM, Lea Verou wrote:
>
>> http://dabblet.com/result/gist/1683580
>>
>> Opera is the only one that seems to get it right, every other browser I
>> tested (IE, Chrome, Firefox) seems to ignore the min-height declaration.
>> However, I think it's quite improbable that all popular engines but one
>> are buggy. What's the case?
>
> Why do you expect the background to be green ?
>
> I personally expect the body to have a computed value of '0' (zero) for
> 'height'.
> Given:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#min-max-heights
> (check the prose under '<percentage>')
>
> Given that, several of Gerards tests should fail (show red) as seen in
> Gecko & WebKit
>

> Philippe

"
A percentage height on the root element is relative to the initial
containing block.
"
10.5 Content height: the 'height' property
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#the-height-property

  html
  {
  height: auto;
  min-height: 100%;
  }
is not resolvable; as I am trying to understand your point of view,
Philippe, this is what you're basically saying.

"
If the resulting height is smaller than 'min-height',
"
Since 'height: auto' is not resolvable, then such comparison is also not
doable. Okay, Philippe: I see your point.

On the other hand,
html {height: 100%;} is.

So, this leaves me with at least 4 tests with predictable layout.

The following 4 tests are correct, should be correct:

1-
'height: 100%' set on html, 'height: 100%' set on body, 'height: 100%' set
on p (h, h, h):

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/height-percentage-003a.xhtml

2-
'height: 100%' set on html, 'height: 100%' set on body, 'min-height: 100%'
set on p (h, h, m):

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/min-height-percentage-003.xhtml
and already submitted to CSS 2.1 test suite:
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/min-height-percentage-003.htm
and
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/min-height-percentage-003.htm

3-
'height: 100%' set on html, 'min-height: 100%' set on body, 'height: 100%'
set on p (h, m, h):

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/min-height-percentage-005.xhtml

4-
'height: 100%' set on html, 'min-height: 100%' set on body, 'min-height:
100%' set on p (h, m, m):

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/min-height-percentage-004.xhtml

regards, Gérard
--