RE: Color tweaking functions

I'm a designer (at least, I consider myself more a designer than a developer), and I personally find that to be an extremely workable and intuitive idea. Many of the time-consuming issues I have encountered have involved working up color schemes wherein I need to darken or lighten the existing color from a client's logo, or add a complementary color. This would allow me to do it very quickly and painlessly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lea Verou [mailto:leaverou@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:59 AM
To: Christoph Päper
Cc: www-style list
Subject: Re: Color tweaking functions

On 25/1/12 14:47, Christoph Päper wrote:
> Lea Verou:
>
> I don't understand the problem - you just change the first and second parameter respectively.

You are talking about changing the original color definition then. The entire point of Pete's proposal was to be able to transform colors
*without* modifying the original color. I.e. variables, currentColor, color keywords etc. Kinda like calc(), but for <color> values.

Speaking of calc(), perhaps that's how this could be implemented. For example, hue rotation by 60deg:

calc(currentColor + hsl(60, 0%, 0%));

Not sure how intuitive that would be for designers though.

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)