RE: % is not a valid unit for border-width

Does calc in border-width help?

From: Matthew Wilcox [mailto:elvendil@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 5:13 AM
To: L. David Baron
Cc: Lea Verou; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: % is not a valid unit for border-width

A recent article on "the bane of responsive layouts" - a lack of % for border-width: http://designshack.net/articles/css/beating-borders-the-bane-of-responsive-layout/

The solutions are poor - either you use outline and get errors with Firefox (and poor line placement) or you use box-sizing, but box-sizing can't degrade gracefully.

We could do with % for border-width.

This inability to gracefully degrade is also why I'd like to see conditionals. When you change box-model you have to change other values - but those values have no idea which box-model they're working inside of.