Re: @import -- allow at any place in stylesheet.

(Side note: be able to do something using different ways is not always good:
SQL has been critized for its lack of orthogonality)

What we are trying to say is that it's not worth taking everyone' time (and
money) to implement that feature in every UA out in the world if it doens't
solve a case that (1) would otherwhise be unsolved, (2) would otherwhise
take more time to compute or (3) would otherwhise take significatively more
time for the website designer to write.

At the current state of the discussion, it seems that:

- @import was a mistake and is only still there for compatibility reason.
<link /> should be used instead in most cases.
- allowing @import anywhere will increase computation time (TCP connection
left open longer, more complex parser...)
- allowing @import anywhere does not allow the designer to solve *new*
layout problems nor it avoids them a huge coding pain.

- allowing @import anywhere could require major changes in UA' code since it
could break their rule matching algorithm, where a single CSS file is either
BEFORE or AFTER another css file in matching order, never IN BETWEEN, which
means you can hold a simple list of CSS files, and not a tree.

Solving an inconsistency just for the sake of solving an inconsistency is
not an option and will never be an option. If you don't have anything else
to add about this thread (that we didn't hear before), I think you can
consider the issue has been resolved as WON'T FIX.

Best regards,
François