Re: [css3-writing-modes] what are the Sv and Sh categories in Appendix C

fantasai wrote:

> >> For vertical typesetting, using [[!UTR50]] and the rules below,
> >> characters are assigned into one of five categories:
> >>
> >> sideways (Sv)
> >>      These characters are sideways (rotated 90° clockwise) in both
> >>      ‘upright-right’ and ‘upright’ text orientations.
> >>
> >> non-native (Sh)
> >>      These characters are sideways in ‘upright-right’ orientation and
> >>      upright in ‘upright’ orientation.
> >
> > I can't find a draft of the UTR-50 that defines these categories.  Is
> > this based on a private discussion or is this a separate proposal of
> > someone?
>
> UTR-50 doesn't define these categories, but we need them, so they're
> defined in css3-writing-modes.

If Unicode needs more categories for the East Asian Orientation property then
you should push to have those included in Unicode.

As it stands now, it's impossible to understand the motivation/details of
this without more specifics.

> > Also, the link to the current draft UTR-50 is not set up correctly in
> > the bibliography file, such the references in the editor's draft
> > appear as [[!UTR-50]].
>
> Yeah, I need Bert to fix that before we republish.

I updated biblio.ref to include a UTR50 reference.

Cheers,

John Daggett