Re: [css21] 17.2.1 Anonymous table objects - nested case

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 05:08:54 +0800, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu
<kennyluck@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> I found an edge case where, I believe, the spec doesn't match
> implementations. Consider:

> table-row;">A</span> </div>
>
> (Notice the beginning and the trailing spaces inside <div>. See also
> online version[1])
>
> rule 1.3
>
>   # If a child C of a tabular container P is an anonymous inline box
>   # that contains only white space, and its immediately preceding and
>   # following siblings, if any, are proper table descendants of P and
>   # are either 'table-caption' or internal table boxes, then it is
>   # treated as if it had 'display: none'. A box D is a proper table
>   # descendant of A if D can be a descendant of A without causing the
>   # generation of any intervening 'table' or 'inline-table' boxes.
>
> doesn't apply here because <span> is not a proper descendant of <div>.
> IE 9, Gecko nightly and Safari (but not Opera) do display the beginning
> and trailing space and don't match the spec. This applies to nested
> 'table-row-group' as well.

Hi Kenny,

I'm trying to evaluate this for CSS21 errata; if you wouldn't mind
assisting me, please could you comment on why you think the behaviour of
the UAs doesn't match the spec, quoting the part of the spec which you
think governs this.  (You've stated why a particular rule in the spec is
not relevant to the situation.)

Thanks,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net