Re: [css3-writing-modes] A report from a meeting w/Japanese publishing group

Tokushige Kobayashi wrote:

> 2)  Af for glyph orientation of ascii chars:
>
> U for Text-orientation: upright
> S for Text-orientatio: upright-right
>
> It is already defined in CSS3 writing mode, definition in TR#50 is
> duplicated.

The UTR50 defined orientation is a character property.  It only
affects the intrinsic orientation of a character.  At least as I've
understood the WG discussions in the past, it will only affect the
behavior of the 'upright-right'.  When 'upright', or 'sideways-xxx' is
specified those represent explicit overrides on the underlying default
orientation.

In vertical text, the element below appears rotated:

In vertical text, the element below appears upright:

But I can definitely see how reading the current CSS3 Writing Modes
spec could lead you to see things as you do, I definitely think the
explanation could be clearer.

Regards,

John Daggett