Re: [css3-writing-modes] A report from a meeting w/Japanese publishing group

If I can just restate the issues in a very simplified manner to see if I am
correct in my understanding of the problem:

1. In a vertical text flow, some glyphs may need to be rendered differently
then in a horizontal flow (rotated or replaced)
2. This cannot always be determined algorithmically
3. The writing modes module addresses this with styles to determine glyph
orientation
4. Currently, glyph selection is a function of the underlying font engine
(eg 'vert' gsub table in OpenType), not CSS (or Unicode)

Is item 4 the problem under discussion in the blog post? Is that the
original issue Koji raised? I apologize if these are obvious questions, I
am having a little difficulty following the discussion - the Google
Translate page of the blog post was surprisingly good, but I think some of
the important details were lost.

--Brady