Re: Forums

fantasai:
> On 01/10/2012 02:27 PM, Christoph Päper wrote:
>> the archive could look a bit friendlier if it employed a parser similar to that of the CSS wiki
>
> Strongly disagree. People don't format their email expecting it to be parsed as markup,

I do, some others too, but yes.

> and so there's a high probability of mangling plaintext emails if you try.

So it should be optional, whether opt-in or opt-out. Discovering and coloring or hiding quote nesting levels works reasonably well in several mail clients, so an HTMLified archive should be able to do the same. Some other things, e.g. lists, are very much straight forward, too. Inline emphasis (*foo*, _foo_, /foo/ etc.) is sometimes tricky, therefore some implementations apply bold and italics, but leave the formatting characters. URLs should be discovered and turned into links, even if broken across lines or directly followed by punctuation. I’m hardly asking for more.