Re: line-height suggestions and easier alignment

Richard Le Poidevin wrote:

> Whilst I don't understand the complexities of how the lines are laid out
> in browsers for your reference here is how InDesign handles accents.
>
> http://www.betleywhitehorne.com/ric-lep/fix-css-line-height/indesign-accents.png
>
> They pop out of the top of the box. It looks like the text is aligned
> using the height of capital letters, and accents are placed above this.
> As each typeface is different I guess the exact spaces may vary as some
> could place accents a little differently or have some letters that are
> taller than others etc.

InDesign's default setting aligns the top of the text box with the
ascender height of the font. It is possible to change this in the text
box settings, to align to the cap height, the x-height or the leading
value. The leading value offers the only way to ensure line alignment of
different fonts across columns, because it is the only value that is
absolute independent of the individual font metrics.

JH