Re: @with -- DRY syntax for nesting selectors

09.01.2012, 18:06, "Simon Sapin" <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>:
> Le 09/01/2012 14:29, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com a écrit :
>
>>  Compared with existing nonstandard solutions like LESS or SASS, the
>>  syntax proposed above avoids mixing declarations (property/value
>>  pairs) and rules on same nesting level (such mixing is generally a
>>  bad idea, and this is implicitly proved out, for example, by the fact
>>  that we don't have this in CSS standard so far).
>
> Bad idea or not, we do have it in css3-page:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#margin-at-rules

As far as I can see, compared with what I propose, margin-at-rules is a different feature for a different purpose.

> As much as I like the idea, syntax details aside and assuming this is
> spec’d and implemented right now, it will be many years before we can
> use it on the web without fallbacks because of older browser versions.

Base on such arguments, we could don't do anything new at all never, so such arguments are useless at all.

> On the other hand, pre-processors like LESS or SASS are available right
> now. They can be changed/updated/replaced without browser support concerns.

Standard feature could be used in server-side preprocessors with the same result. While there is big fundamental difference between standard features and nonstandard ones. One of most important is that using standard feature reliably prevents syntax conflicts between nonstandard feature and standard one added later and having same syntax (or parts of syntax) but different meaning.