Re: Forums

On 2012/01/07 10:51 (GMT-0800) Andrew Fedoniuok composed:

> It appears that the list is tend to use fixed font formatted
> messages. Far not all mail clients are good with that.

Non-plain text email message proponents seem to forget that the graphical web
we know today did not always exist, and that email predates it by much more
than a decade. To expect the type of users for whom email was originally
developed to change those environments for which email was originally created
and remains equally functional (e.g. fixed font text terminals, speech
generators, fixed font printers) in order to accommodate non-text and
of an established system that lacks an appropriate alternative. Therefore
those who use the SMTP system to transmit what are in effect web pages must
expect that some people will be unable to make sense of such transmissions,
and that if maximum likelihood of intelligible reception is desired, anything
more than plain (fixed font) text in the message is best avoided. IOW, if you
don't know the recipient both can and cares to accept web pages via SMTP, the
right thing to do until such time as you know otherwise is to send only plain
text. With mailing lists, it's usually the case that plain text is explicitly
either preferred or mandatory, not just a tendency.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/