RE: [css3-regions] regions forming stacking contexts

Region is a viewport, anything visible within a region should behave the same way as if it was on screen scrolled to that point. There may be exceptions due to really complicated cases but in general it should work the same, shouldn’t it?

From: rocallahan@gmail.com [mailto:rocallahan@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 2:07 AM
To: Alex Mogilevsky
Cc: Tab Atkins Jr.; Alan Stearns; fantasai; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-regions] regions forming stacking contexts

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com<mailto:alexmog@microsoft.com>> wrote:
I tend to agree that the current wording doesn't make it much more clear or intuitive. Perhaps just removing the note would be fine, we already say (normatively) that region has its own stacking context...

While we're here, can we address the question of what happens when an element with its own stacking context splits across regions with their own stacking contexts? At least one of those stacking contexts has to lose its stacking-context-ness and be possibly interleaved in z-order with other content.

The problem is particularly acute for CSS properties like 'opacity' (and 'filter') that induce stacking contexts, where the current rendering semantics depend strongly on the element *not* being interleaved in z-order with other content.

I brought this up earlier but apparently it didn't get addressed. I think it's quite fundamental.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us." [1 John 1:8-10]