From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:46 PM
To: Alan Stearns
Cc: fantasai; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-regions] regions forming stacking contexts

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> Where are the stacking rules for inline breaking defined? And do you
> have a ready example of overlapping element fragments? I can easily
> overlap text where font-size is larger than line-height, but I'm
> guessing you have a different overlap situation in mind.

I'm not sure where they're defined, but I believe she basically *was* talking about that, and here's an example:

<!DOCTYPE html>
  foo
  foo
div { width: 8em; line-height: 10px;}
span { background: rgba(0,0,0,.2); }

The <span> is overlapping itself due to inline breaking here.  The stacking order is determined by normal CSS rules, such that the second fragment is on top of the first.